DETOXIFICATION IS NOT FASTING!
- Fiber supports fecal excretion of toxins and the integrity of the intestinal barrier which decreases toxins burden. In addition fiber can directly bind some toxins thereby removing them before they enter the body and cause damage.
2. High Quality Protein provides methionine and cystine which are beneficial to enhance the detoxification process and may help with the excretion of heavy metals. Methionine is important in the treatment of rheumatic fever and pregnancy-induced toxemia. With the help of choline and folic acid, methionine is a chelator for heavy metals and helps remove them from the body. Methionine is also used as an antidote in paracetamol poisoning -- a pain killer available by prescription and in over-the-counter analgesics -- and to lower urinary pH, making it more acidic.
3. N-Acetyl-Cysteine NAC is a chelator of heavy metals. In other words, NAC binds to toxic heavy metals such as mercury and lead, and removes them from the body. NAC has been shown to be an antidote for acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning, mercury poisoning, and even arsenic poisoning. Cancer research has shown that NAC dramatically reduces the ability of a tumor to invade surrounding tissue. In one study, NAC decreased the number of metastases by 80% when cancer cells were pretreated with NAC. Immunologically, NAC greatly enhances T-cell production. In fact, all AIDS patients are deficient in NAC and glutathione. NAC suppresses the replication of HIV in vitro and enhances the ability of certain immune cells and kill pathogens.
4. Folate Acid promotes balanced detoxification. It will induce certain liver pathways to help prevent heart disease. Foods with folic acid in them include leafy green vegetables, fruits, dried beans, peas and nuts. Enriched breads, cereals and other grain products also contain folic acid. If you don't get enough folic acid from the foods you eat, you can also take it as a dietary supplement. Folic acid (or folate) is a key vitamin in cellular function and repair. Deficiency leads to impaired cell division and to alterations in protein synthesis - the effects are most pronounced in rapidly growing tissues. Helps reduce homocysteine to reduce heart disease.
5. Ellagic Acid from pomegranate significantly reduced tumors in animal with chemically-induced cancers, protects from toxin liver damage, enhances glutathione production, decreases cholesterol, and binds to some heavy metals. Ellagic acid is a naturally occurring polyphenolic constituent found in 46 different fruits and nuts, like grapes, pomegranate, red raspberry, strawberry, blueberry and walnuts. "[Ellagic acid] prevents the binding of carcinogens to DNA and strengthens connective tissue, which may keep cancer cells from spreading." Ellagic Acid has the ability to inhibit mutations within a cell's DNA. Furthermore, it is considered to be a cancer inhibitor which has the ability to cause apoptosis or normal cell death in cancer cells.
6. Watercress. Eating watercress daily can significantly reduce DNA damage to blood cells, which is considered to be an important trigger in the development of cancer, University of Ulster scientists revealed today (15 February). The research, published in this month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that in addition to reducing DNA damage, a daily portion of watercress also increased the ability of those cells to resist further toxic damage.
7. Artichoke has been shown to be a natural remedy which improves various digestive health disorders, shown to significantly lowered blood cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease and atherosclerosis - plaque problems, enhance detoxification reactions, as well as protect the liver from damage. This combination of benefits is very important to healthy liver function. During detoxification of the liver, the toxic substance is often initially converted to an even more toxic form. Without adequate protection, every time the liver neutralizes a toxin, it is damaged in this process. Artichoke extract has been shown to provide these valuable preventative health benefits and protection.
8. Milk Thistle (silymarin) Silymarin has powerful antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are thought to protect body cells from damage caused by a chemical process called
l oxidation. Silymarin has anti-inflammatory effects which keeps liver cells from swelling in response to injury. Silymarin also seems to encourage liver cell growth by changing the outside layer of liver cells; it prevents certain toxins from getting into liver cells. Silymarin increases glutathione to help enhance liver detoxification.
9. Green Tea. The catechins from green tea process powerful antioxidants processing anticarcinogenic and antimutagenic potential. They are associated with lower incidents of Parkinson’s disease. The National Cancer Institute is currently investigating the chemotherapeutic potential of green tea. Moreover, green tea promotes healthy gastrointestinal function.
- Broccoli. Increasingly, scientists are examining the role specific natural plant compounds (phytochemicals) may play in increasing the body's natural defense 1992, researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine identified sulforaphane, a compound that occurs naturally in broccoli. Johns Hopkins researchers believe that many phytochemicals, including sulforaphane, may help explain why diets rich in fruits and cruciferous vegetables are associated with a reduced risk of cancer. The basis for this belief is from laboratory research on animals; it is being confirmed in humans. Sulforaphane, in the form of its natural precursor - sulforaphane glucosinolate (SGS™) - is also found in foods such as kale and cabbage. Johns Hopkins University researchers found that young broccoli sprouts, in particular, contained high concentrations of SGS.
To Your Health
New York Institute of Herbal Medicine & Nutrition