Top Ten Ways To Clear and Strengthen Your Digestive System
- 1. Eliminate foods that are possible allergens which may have a negative impact on the digestive system. For example, reduce gluten, highly processed foods, foods that contain perseverates and additives, dairy and certain seeds and nuts. (see the anti-inflammatory diet)
- Stop taking over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and antacids. These two drugs are contributing factions to the many symptoms associated with poor digestion. If you are taking over the counter pain medications use fish oil and turmeric instead - they both have natural anti-inflammatory properties without side-effects.
- Add food into your diet
that can help manage pathogens such as parasites and fungus. Herbs such as Ginger, garlic,
fennel, thyme, and oregano all contain anti-parasite and anti-fungal
properties. If you have acid reflux
makes sure you’re tested for H.pylori. H-pylori is a bacterial that is responsible for the
majority of the symptoms associated with acid reflux.
- Enhance your digestive system with digestive enzymes. We need enzymes such as lipase, protease, and lactase to facilitate the digestion of fats, protein and sugar. You can purchase a digestive enzyme supplement from the health food store which can be taken at every meal. If you want to go the herbal route try Sweetish Bitters. Sweetish Bitters is a time tested herbal remedy which contains the herb gentian root, it is commonly used before and after meals to reduce gas and bloating.
- Begin Taking Probiotics (acidophilus). Acidophilus supplies your body with good bacteria to fight off the bad bacteria. Numerous studies have shown that daily supplementation with acidophilus will enhance the immune response not just for colds and flu but also for allergies and digestive disorders. We need good bacteria to digest our food. Always take acidophilus away from food – trust me.
- Green Tea has been shown to help facilitate the growth of friendly bacterial and prevent tooth decay. Have a cup or two per day of this powerful antioxidant.